Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What's for dinner??



I took a little advice from Martha tonight and made one of her dishes for dinner. Now, for as much inspiration as I have gotten from Martha, it's rarely in the cooking department. She tends to make things that don't appeal to my tastes or the amount of time and effort I care to put forth in my meal preparation. But yesterday I got a HUMONGOUS stack of old Martha Stewart Living magazines from Freecycle and I pulled out the February ones to read now. There are tear-out recipe cards in them, so I took a peek and thought the "Mediterranean Chicken" from January 2005 sounded good. And that's what we had for dinner tonight. It was wonderful!!

Though she had other side dishes listed, I opted to serve the chicken on a bed of spinach. Then Leif got the brilliant idea to wrap it all up in a tortilla with some feta ... Mmmm! I pulled out my cast iron skillet for this one and I will be sure to make it again. Here's how it's done (my way... I had to alter it a bit since I don't like capers!):



1 /2 pint grape tomatoes
16 black olives
2 T. (garlic infused*) olive oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

1. Preheat oven to 475*. Toss tomatoes, olives, and 1 T. olive oil together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat until hot. Add 1 T. oil and heat until hot. Place chicken in skillet and cook until deep golden brown, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken over. Add tomato mixture to the skillet.
3. Transfer skillet to oven. Roast until chicken is cooked through and tomatoes have softened, about 18 minutes.

It's pretty easy, doesn't use weird ingredients, and tastes amazing! And it's relatively healthy. My version (just what you see above, not counting the spinach or tortilla) has 320 calories and 20 grams of fat. The fat comes from olive oil and olives, so it's "good" fat. Oh, and did I mention that it tastes great, too??

*To make the garlic infused olive oil, fill a container with olive oil and drop a few cloves of garlic in. Let it sit for a few days and you'll have really good garlic flavored olive oil!

1 comment:

Ivymamma said...

Looks super yummy. I love "one-dish" meals like that. This is a definite yummy meal for later this week! Thanks!