Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hard Boiling Eggs....

I'm hoping to dye some Easter eggs with Ellie today or tomorrow. In preparation, I am hard boiling eggs. Suddenly it occurs to me that I don't really hard boil eggs very often. Rarely, in fact. And I can't remember how to do it. So I'm trying a method I've never done before. I found it on WikiHow and thought I'd give it a shot. Have any of you used this method before? In about 10 minutes we'll see how well it works...

From WikiHow:

(Note: this method consistently produces a perfectly-cooked egg with lovely, all-yellow yolks--no more green-gray rings!)

  1. Place the raw, uncracked eggs in a pot. Fill the pot with enough cold tap water to completely cover eggs with about 1 inch of water over them. Add plenty of salt to make the egg easy to peel later.
  2. Bring to a rolling boil on high heat. Once the water is brought to a good boil, promptly cover the pot and turn off the heat {the retained heat in the water and pot will continue to gently cook the eggs without overcooking them and discoloring the yolks}.
  3. For hard-boiled, leave the eggs in the water for 15 minutes; for soft-boiled, leave them in no longer than 10 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and immediately chill the eggs by placing them under cold running water or in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Chill for a few minutes until the egg is completely cooled.
  5. To peel, crack the shell around the entire egg and remove.
EDITED: Well, no cracked shells, and I boiled 10 of them, so that's got to be a good sign!

3 comments:

Ivymamma said...

Did your egg shells crack at all when you tried this method?

mtmommy said...

How did it work? This is the only method I have ever used... However I always forget to add the salt and it really does make a difference. :-)

Ivymamma said...

Just thought I'd chime in and tell you NONE of my 36 eggs cracked! thanks for the "method"!

Thankfully, the kids not only enjoy coloring them, but also eating them, because that's a lot of eggs for Mike & I that don't like hard-boiled eggs!