Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The curtains are up...



... and here's what they look like! Now, before anyone gets too critical, let me lay out my theory on sewing. I DON'T sew. My brother sews. He made my wedding dress when he was 17 years old. You just don't compete with genius like that. So most of my sewing is done on paper - you know, scrapbook layouts and cards. That kind of stuff. It's rare that I actually sew fabric, so when I do it has to be a project that:

1. Has no pattern. I don't believe in following patterns. Not for sewing, not for knitting, not for crocheting. Call me a free spirit, but I don't follow patterns.

2. Doesn't require measuring. I'm an eye-baller. I don't measure things, I just give it a good looking over and hope it fits. The curtain fits!

3. Can be sewn without pinning first. I think pinning things is a waste of time, for the most part. So when I sew I just want to line up the fabric and feed it through the machine. If I can't do that with the project at hand, chances are the project at hand will end up under foot and unfinished in a corner somewhere.

And this is why I don't sew very often. But I wanted a valance for Ellie's room, so here it is. I have a grand scheme for enhancing the window dressings, but you'll just have to wait until later to see if I actually get it done. One thing at a time....

1 comment:

Kate said...

I love them! I think they are adorable and great for a big girl room. =) You did a great job!

That is way cool btw that your brother made your wedding dress!