Monday, April 21, 2008

I got to play in my craft room!

Yesterday afternoon I got to go down and play in my craft room, just play, just for me! It was a much needed break from doing things for other people or not doing anything at all.

I've been inspired lately by this blog and her incredible brayer use. I've had a brayer for a long time, but I didn't use it very much. So one of my goals in playing was to try out some of the techniques I've been seeing on her blog.





In addition to the brayering, I wanted to use my new 7 Gypsies ATC punch. I don't do ATCs, but I thought the punch was too cool to pass up, and I had a 15% off coupon at Keepsakes.


I also used my alcohol inks yesterday. I've had them for months, but I'd never used them. So I gave it a whirl. I need to work on new techniques and figure out all the cool things I can do with them, but it was fun. I like them. I used them to dye the notebook paper in the card above, and I used them on this card, too. I used my HS butterfly masks and then applied alcohol inks over the masks. I outlined them with my Krylon pen, then applied the masks to acetate and cut out the wings. After the wings were cut out, I colored them with the alcohol inks (same colors as the card front) and bent them, then adhered them to the masked butterflies on the card. The picture really doesn't do it justice. This is my favorite card from yesterday.


So I'm excited. I got to play! It's not scrapbooking, but it is something, and I did learn some new techniques. And I got to play with some of my newest Inkadinkado sets! I love this circle and butterfly that I got a while back. This weekend I got these cool words (which I love because they remind me of a Technique Tuesday set I can't get at our LSS any more and managed to miss while they were in stock!), this beautiful sentiment set by Brenda Walton, and these great birds. I also got a Cloud 9 quote set this weekend. It's what I used on most of the cards above, except for the birthday one. I just think these are the most beautiful quotes and great for both card making and scrapbooking. I'm seeing lots of use in the future with these...

So there you have it. THAT'S what I was up to yesterday. I'll post more of my classes in the next few days, so stay tuned. I know I've been absent lately, but I'm back now. =D

3 comments:

Tamara said...

here's a fun technique to try: use a versamark pad and silver (or any color) embossing powder. put it on the edges of the acetate butterfly wings (or the edges of a small acetate mini book or something) and heat set the powder.... the edges of the wings (or whatever) curl and are pretty cool you can continue to "shape" the wings or whatever while they are still warm. it wasn't my idea, but it's really cool and i think it's an effect you would enjoy!

Susan Beth said...

Wow! There is some insane jealousy going on at my house right now! Wow to the projects! Wow to the fact that you got some time to play! Can I trade you lives? I did complain a bit to God, and he responded with a firm, short but sweet "Get over it!"

Mom said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE those butterfly cards. They are absolutely adorable. You are very talented.