Monday, December 21, 2009

Impromptu Dessert

Impromptu Dessert

Tonight we had friends over for dinner and it was decided that they would provide appetizers or dessert. We didn't really plan anything for either and they brought appetizers. As dinner came to a close, Leif mentioned how good it would be if we had something for dessert. So I set about to find something. I remembered that we had some heavy cream, so I started with that. I pulled out my trusty book of recipes from my mom and discovered that our recipe for Cappuccino Truffles calls for heavy cream. So that's what I set out to make.

I melted the ingredients together, hoping they'd cool in time for us to eat them before the kids' bedtime (aka 'party over' time). While I was waiting for the truffle mix to cool in the freezer, I started making some almond bark cups, using a mold I've had, but never used before. I knew it would come in handy some day! The cups took no time at all to cool, so I filled them with the still-soft-and-runny truffle mix, which was more like a ganache since I was too impatient to wait until I could roll it into balls. =D I topped the filled cups with some fresh whipped cream and some coffee ground sprinkles. Here's the bite-sized end result:

Impromptu Dessert

Impromptu Dessert

They were rich and decadent, and not bad for dessert on the fly, if you ask me! We had all the ingredients on hand and they took about 20-30 minutes to make, which was enough time for dinner to settle and coffee to steep. Yum! Here's the recipe I used. The rest of the mix I will make into "proper" truffles for a party tomorrow night. =D

Cappuccino Truffles

12 oz. chocolate chips (I used semisweet)
1 1/2 T. instant coffee granules
6 T. butter
3 T. heavy cream

Melt all ingredients together. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll into balls. (This is the step I was too impatient to wait for, so I just poured the cooled, but not yet stiff, mixture into almond bark cups.) Coat balls with powdered cocoa, crushed nuts, powdered sugar, etc. I coat the truffles with almond bark in a candy mold.

No comments: