Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Product Review: EK Success Curvy Cutter


This is the first circle cutter I have owned, but not the first I have used. I love it! It cuts clean lines and you can easily make 1/4 inch thick rings. It works great with paper, cardstock, vellum, and acetate. You can get oval, circle, or rounded corner square templates. The oval template comes with the ergonomic cutting handle/blade, or you can buy the handle separately, as I did. I don't use ovals often (ever?), so I just got the circle template and handle separately. By the way, if you flip the handle around so it's on the outside of the template, you can do even BIGGER circles than the manufacturers claim.

Pros:
  • easy to use
  • measures precisely in 1/4" increments
  • cuts large (>12") and small (2 1/4") circles
  • cuts thin rings (down to 1/4" thick)
  • cutting blade cuts in either direction (counter- or clock-wise)
Cons:
  • doesn't cut through chipboard (do any circle cutters?)
  • paper sometimes slides if you don't hold it down or tape it. I used Aileen's Tack It Over and Over on my glass mat and that seems to work well and doesn't stick to your paper once you let it dry thoroughly.
  • requires a glass mat (sold separately - I used a sheet of glass from an old picture frame)
  • pricey - $35 for the circle template and handle/blade
If you're looking for a circle cutter, I recommend this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tip(s)! just the type of info i wanted to know. - tam (now let's see a photo of that beeeee-u-teee-fullll HAMBLY you received)!