Friday, November 27, 2009

A Home Canned Thanksgiving...

Our Thanksgiving plans didn't pan out like we'd expected, and we ended up having a last minute Thanksgiving meal with just me, Leif, and Eliana. It was actually a very nice day, and we got to spend some much needed family time. Leif and I worked side by side to prepare the food, which was great. I'd already made a turkey (since I was supposed to bring gravy for our originally scheduled plans - and I don't believe in making gravy from anything but the juices from a freshly cooked bird.) and a pumpkin pie (from scratch, down to making my own pumpkin puree) so that was already done, and the rest was pretty easy.  Potatoes, gravy, green beans almondine, stuffing and yambake we whipped up in a couple hours. The rest I had already canned... cranberry sauce, pickled beets... All in all, a good meal, especially for last minute!!

Along with the relaxing family time, I got some knitting in, so that was exciting! I've pretty much used up 3 skeins of yarn in 2 days and make 3.5 projects. Yarn crafting is a great way to spend time and relax in the fall.

Today we put up the Christmas decorations and Leif took Ellie sledding. We ate leftovers. We listened to Christmas music. It was great.

And through it all, we have no pictures from the holiday. But it's okay. We got to spend time together as a family, and that's what I'm thankful for.

1 comment:

Susan Beth said...

sounds like a very fun and relaxing time! Sort of envious here!